This past weekend I had the thrill of singing La Fée with soprano Laura Mitchell as my Cendrillon. We both did our undergraduate degrees in San Diego, and it was such a pleasure to be reunited and to sing together.
Reunited with soprano Laura Mitchell. NYC, 2014.
Having the opportunity to learn the rest of the role and revisit La Fée’s coloratura-filled aria and eyebrow-raising Act 3 scene was immensely rewarding and validating. After getting through the initial bumps in the note-learning and muscle-coordinating processes, I found that the less I stressed about the hard parts, the more easily and cleanly they came. A year and a half ago the vocal demands of La Fée had left me feeling a bit beat-up, but this year I came away from the performance feeling confident and quite happy. Continue reading
Posted in Background, Opera
Tagged Cendrillon, Cinderella, coloratura, Disney, Gioacchino Rossini, Joyce DiDonato, Jules Massenet, La Fée, mezzos, Operabase, photos by sopranos, Ruth Welting, youtube
IN THE WORKS @ October 19, 2014
A Strauss Celebration: 150 years
- Monday, November 24th, 7 PM
- Holyrood Church (179th and Fort Washington), Washington Heights, NYC
- Lieder and selections from Arabella, Ariadne auf Naxos, and Der Rosenkavalier
- I’ll be singing “Einkehr” (Op 47) and Sophie in the Der Rosenkavalier selections
- The launch project of Cantanti PROJECT, a project-based performance group in NYC, for singers and by singers.
Covering the role of Dalinda in Handel’s Ariodante in 2015 with New York Opera Forum